Everyone thinks they’re the expert on your life and loves to give you advice. Most of it is complete garbage.
Here are 15 of the most popular nay-saying tips and why you can tell them to shove it.
1. Your dream is unrealistic. What’s unrealistic is trying to live your life working at a job you don’t love doing something you hate for the rest of your life while regretting trying to live your dream.
2. You’re screwed if it doesn’t work out. No, you’re not. In fact, the worst possible scenario is that you go back to what you would be doing if you hadn’t pursued your dream. That’s the worst possible scenario.
3. You weren’t cut out for that. Who’s to say that? If you don’t fit the stereotype for your dream then you’re the one to break the mold. You will stand out.
4. You can follow your dream someday. Someday will never come. Follow your dream today.
5. Only a few people “make it.” That’s because they lack the drive, determination, and will that you have. You’re one of the few.
6. You should just be safe and get a job. In fact, a job is even more dangerous than pursuing your dream. Not only do you feel terrible doing something you don’t want to do, but with two simple words your livelihood can change. “You’re fired.” When you’re pursuing your dream, you’re the only one that can stop you.
7. That’s impossible. Yes it’s impossible. For them. Not for you though, because you can dream and make it real.
8. You would have to go through so much work to do that. Yeah, but you’re willing to do it. You know what you want and you know what you have to do to get there. To you it’s not work, it’s what you want to do with your life.
9. You don’t need a backup plan. Yes, you do. Even if it’s just for supplemental income, use your talent or perfect your dream by doing something that may not be the exact same, but is related. It’s always better to be good at two things than one.
10. It’s a one in a million chance. No, actually, it’s probably less. But it doesn’t matter to you, because you know you’re going to do it. That’s what really matters.
11. Bad things will happen. Failures are just steps towards success. Any successful entrepreneur will tell you that. If you can’t handle failure, then success is going to be very difficult to achieve.
12. You won’t be able to live off that. If you can do it and find an avenue that will pay you for it, then yes you can live off of your dream. Even people who can fit into a box found an market for their talent that people would pay them to perform.
13. You’re going to be the next “BLANK.” No, you’re not. You’re going to be the next YOU. Don’t follow the mold, be different. Be yourself.
14. That’s a lot of pressure. Of course there is; it’s your life. That doesn’t matter to you though because you’re willing to take it on and make it your own.
15. You have to do this, this, and this, to do that. Wrong. Follow what you believe and find your own way to achieve your dream. Studying those who have succeeded in the same field helps, but copying won’t get you anywhere.
If you can disregard these bits of “advice” people give you, you’re well on your way to succeeding.
Don’t let their jealousy and worry get you down.Now go own the world.
Be the first to know how to own the world: Subscribe via e-mail or RSS feed.